Friday, November 9, 2012

Making a Sewing Tray

Here's a little collage of the making of my sister Kate's birthday gift. I got this idea to make a sewing tray to put by the sewing machine using yard sticks. My husband is a former wood shop teacher so he knew how to make this box. We got some yard sticks and had a day of woodworking. My husband Jim is in these photos making the box, there's no pictures of me as I was the one taking the pictures.

Anywhoo, he showed me how what to do, sanding, nailing etc. We made 5 sewing tray boxes, 4 with rulers and one without. I ended up giving Kate the plain one as I decided she would probably like it the best. I don't have any photos of the painting in progress but I first spray painted my box black and then I put two coats of cream color paint. I let it dry for a day or two and then I used some sand paper and gave it a Shabby Chic look which I love. The top photo shows the finished product along with the sewing items I put inside.

This was lots of fun to make. Someday I'll finish those other trays. Took my sewing tray box to the UPS Store the other day and let them box it for me to send to my sister for her birthday, the UPS ladies loved it, pretty sure Kate does too.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

What a great idea. Would love to see the finished product.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Very cool! I would be thrilled to receive one for my b-day (btw, its next week ;-) ;-) LOL), so I'm guessing your sister will be! Have a happy weekend!

Darlene said...

Your sister is going to love such a fabulous gift.

Carol said...

Oh Carol that is awesome! Your sister is going to flip! If you and hubby decide to sell them...put me on the list!

Alina said...

Wow, nice job!! I wish I would know how to make one myself.

Quilt Hollow said...

My hubby also works with that tongue action! I give him a time about it too, I love seeing you guys creativity.

PamKittyMorning said...

Ohmygosh, I love the sewing tray! If you ever open up shop let me know!